Long multiplication mathematical reasoning!
A wonderful afternoon at Birchfield Residential Care Home, performing poetry, singing and chatting to the residents.
Investigating equivalent fractions
Performance poetry from around the world
Using reasoning to find missing numbers in column subtraction
Some fantastic reasoning about finding missing numbers in column addition.
Learning about and celebrating Diwali at school
Problem Solving: Designing Mr Page's garden using our knowledge of perimeter and area
Using reasoning to find the area and perimeter of compound rectilinear shapes
Planning and carrying out an experiment about air resistance
Experimenting with gravity and newton meters
Using reasoning to estimate the size of angles
Learning netball skills during our invaders topic.
Welcome to Year 5
Welcome back everyone! I hope that you had a fantastic summer and that you are raring to go in this new school year.
We have got a busy and very exciting year ahead of us, with many interesting topics.
Some of the topics we will be covering this term include:
Myths and Legends, and in particular looking at the Legend of Beowulf
Addition and subtraction
Multiplication and division
How our country is changing
How exercise affects our body.
Anglos Saxons and Vikings
A quick reminder about year 5:
- Please ensure that your child brings their school bag every day, including their reading diary and reading book. Reading books will be changed by your child when they have completed each book. We ask that all year 5 children read a little bit each night and this would be preferably to an adult. Please sign their reading diary for them each time they read.
Reading regularly has such a huge influence and will help them hugely with their writing.
- PE days will be usually be Tuesday and Fridays. This is subject to change however, so please ensure that the children have their indoor and outdoor PE kit in school at all times.
- Homework will be sent home on a Friday. Please can this be completed and returned by the following Wednesday at the latest so it can be checked. This is an important part of the learning process as it will be to consolidate what we have recently been learning, or may be foundation knowledge for an upcoming topic.
- Please can all children continually practise their times tables which can accessed on the following websites:
I can’t stress enough how important it is that all children develop a rapid recall of the times table facts including the division facts too. It is important to focus on the ones which they find the most difficult.
- School fund is still being collected, so 50p every week is very much appreciated to go towards trips, resources and new books.
- There is access to water in school at all times. Please ensure that your child has a water bottle in school which is able to be refilled.
If any parents or carers are able to spare any time to come into school and listen to children read, it would be a huge benefit to the class. Please contact Mr Page if you would like to discuss this further.
If there is anything at all you need to speak to us about then please feel free to pop in.
We are looking forward to an exciting and busy year.
Mr Page, Mrs Filder and Mrs Schillaci