At Griffin Park Primary School, we aim to provide a high-quality Computing curriculum that will equip children with the skills and knowledge they need to use technology safely, responsibly and creatively, in the home and beyond and inspire a lifelong love of play, design, code and invention with technology.
Computing isn’t a subject just about memorising facts and vocabulary words, it's about solving complex problems, being able to collaborate with others and learn from mistakes. We want children to become independent and to have fun with technology while developing 21st-century skills.’
We believe in a curriculum that meets the interests of all learners, with a range of exciting creative activities and open-ended challenges based on the essential requirements of the computing program of study, incorporating Computer Science, Information Technology and Computer Science. We believe that there are nonnegotiable digital skills that children must possess:-
- All children must have a basic understanding of coding and how the web works.
- All children must able to evaluate online information and be social media aware.
- All children must understand online safety rules and know how to report and block.
- All children must be proficient with word processing and able to save their work.
- All children must be able to create visually engaging content/presentations in order to present learning to others.
- All children must have experience of online collaboration and using communication tools.
Today’s children and young people are growing up in a digital world. As they grow older, it is crucial that they learn to balance the benefits offered by technology with a critical awareness of their own and other’s online behaviour, and develop effective strategies for staying safe and making a positive contribution online. Online Safety is an integral part of our computing curriculum and aligns to Project:Evolve so that children focus on the key aspects of online education which will support our children to live knowledgeably, responsibly and safely in a digital world.